Re: [libreplanet-discuss] I have a Free Software licensing question

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] I have a Free Software licensing question
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 10:18:43 +0100

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM, zerothis baud <zerothis23@gmail.com> wrote:
> But getting to my point, I don't want people source diving to figure
> out the mechanics of this system and thereby finding ways to exploit
> it and 'artfully dodge' 'the rules'.

Is that because the game would be less fun if they dodge the rules?
Are there real world prizes or anything very important hinging on the
fact that people don't cheat?

May I suggest that if you make the source code for the rules available
with no restriction
1. People still have the option of _not looking at it_ in order to
increase their own satisfaction (similar to not looking at the back of
the book until you attempt a problem yourself).
2. People who do look at the code (maybe after they finish playing)
will have the opportunity to exploit it and improve it in creative,
exciting ways you might not have thought of.

Not wanting people to ever look at your rules sounds to me like
wanting too much control over other people.

However you may have good reasons, in which case Niels's suggestion of
separating game data from game engine sounds like a good approach.