Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GAMING COLLECTIVE: Anybody play Ryzom?

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GAMING COLLECTIVE: Anybody play Ryzom?
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 01:32:53 +0200

Hi!

On 4 July 2012 22:00, Patrick Anderson <agnucius@gmail.com> wrote:

> We do not know how to host "Free as in Freedom" email (Gmail, Yahoo)

Install a smtpd, imapd and a webmail app like roundcube?

> or a social network (Fakebook)

Install a httpd and a federating social network app like GNU Social,
Pligg, StatusNet, etc?

> storage (DropBox, Google Drive)

Install sshd, git and a backup syncing app like SparkleShare?

> VMs (AWS, etc.)

Install a VM manager like Eucalyptus?

> Another part is whether *all* the Users have real control, or are
> subjugated by those who actually own that hardware.

If users need 'real' or full control of servers, I think they must
actually own the hardware (at least.)

Hosting servers has costs; computer hardware, electricity, property.
These costs can be paid in full up front, giving the users full
control.

The Freedom Box project is mostly about enabling people running server
hardware that is cheap enough for individuals to afford to do so from
property they own, or rented property that is their home and thus has
a favourable legal status compared to rented property that isn't their
home (like a datacenter.)

The electrical grid for many people in developed nations is still
reliable, but for many people in developing countries it is not.
Owning hardware to run servers is expensive because it requires owning
electrical generator capacity, instead of renting it.

If you do not own the computer hardware, the electrical generation
machinery, and the property, then you can rent them. Renting usually
gives as much control as actual ownership, for as long as you can
continue paying the rents.

I don't see renting as any kind of subjugation when the items are
commodities; when you can migrate from one vendor to another. Often
renting is better than ownership; I can access much more electricity
by renting it from the grid than I could by generating it myself, and
I can live in a larger apartment by renting with friends than I could
by owning an apartment myself.

If you can't afford the rent for an item yourself, it is common to
form a group and co-rent the item with others. How the group is formed
and makes decisions is up to the members of the group.

The co-operative business community has established many examples in
all areas of industry all around the world in how to do this in an
equitable way. Business without your 'Capitalists.'

If you can't join a group who affords the rent, or ownership, you can
beg owners for access, I guess. Access obtained in this way always
comes with some conditions, that you may or may not like; the owner
will have found a way to not charge you with money, but to pay the
costs another way. Well, that's up to you. If you don't like their
terms, there are many alternative options.

Cheers
Dave