Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Reasons to free/open source internal company c

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Reasons to free/open source internal company code
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:47:31 -0700

I want to release the deployment tool we're using but I can't quite find
the right reasoning to use. The arguments against this are that the tool is
too specific to our setup, and that it isn't polished enough to be released.

The argument I'd use in this situation is like so:

1. Why are you using hard-coded values, or too-specific code, for this system? If you're building a system that only works on one infrastructure, or worse, only on one machine, you're doing it wrong. Build a config system, spend a day or two on it (OK, maybe more depending on the size of the tool), and be happy.

2. If your code isn't polished, it may be because the tool isn't really that great. Spend the time and money to polish it, and be happy you did.

3. Once you've spent the time and effort, and you release a great tool, you'll have some marketing, sure, but you'll also inspire confidence in your users and generally be doing good in the world.

Good luck, and I'm sure we all await the results of your efforts!

And of course, I'm sure many of us on the list would be willing to have a more in-depth discussion about this. The IRC channel, in particular, has been relatively quiet....

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation