Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Art & Libre Software

From: Thomas HARDING
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Art & Libre Software
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:57:27 +0200

On 15/09/2014 21:01, Joel Kahn wrote:
I'm now a member of the Art Sync Gallery, run by the
Polk County Artists Association (PCAA) here in
southwest Missouri. Most of the artists in this gallery
work with traditional subjects and media; so far, I'm
the only one focusing heavily on digital stuff.
However, I have brought in an old desktop that I've
set up with Trisquel 6.0.1. In the short term, we'll
be concentrating on digital slide shows of art works.
A good program for slide shows is "sozi" plug-in to the "Inkscape" vector program. It's main purpose is to slide, rotate and focus around an svg (scalablevector graphics) as an animation (you can embed images, preferably, or at option edit images path). The version I used didn't embedded sounds. On the other hand, "sozi" animations works perfectly in case of web hosting.
We expect to tinker with other activities somewhere
down the road as circumstances permit. I also have a
laptop with the same distro on it that I bring to
the gallery each time that I'm working there.

I view this as a good opportunity to demonstrate libre
software to my fellow local artists, the gallery's
patrons, and the larger community. If any of you would
like to help with this, send me emails and I'll provide
more details as appropriate. The Art Sync Gallery has
a Facebook page, but no independent web site at this
time (that is on our long term project list).
A facebook page is somewhat evil, because of intellectual property content falling down to Facebook (or please re-read their contract with help from a good lawyer).

There are certainly other hosting solutions with "ballots" and non impairing contrats regarding artists.

best regards,
TSFH.