Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 09:19:20 -0600

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 09:26:04AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Copyleft is not a restriction.  It is a defense against restrictions
> imposed by middlemen on the users.

However short-sighted and basically utilitarian the quoted rationale for
avoiding copyleft may be, I think it's impossible for copyleft not to
be a restriction. If it did not restrict people from distributing under
different licenses, it would no longer be called copyleft, it would just
be called public domain.

Now, you could definitely say that copyleft is not a restriction on the
end user, but if you're looking to minimize the restrictions for *everyone*,
including developers of derivatives or applications that use your code,
then copyleft is not your license.

--
Mark Holmquist
Software Engineer, Multimedia