[libreplanet-discuss] combating the "IoT"

From: Cardoza, Michael
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] combating the "IoT"
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:25:29 -0400

One of the biggest subjects in recent years has been the "IoT Internet of Things". Where basically they would like every device in your home to have a computer and be networked to the internet in some way. There are already news reports that these devices have cameras and microphones and are basically recording all the time. As the mass of these devices increases I foresee a point where you cannot buy any product that doesn't have some kind of computer and operating system in it that will be networked. What does the Free Software community think we can do about this? how are we to buy anything in the future even a toaster without giving up our computing freedoms and come under surveillance? I would think it would be extremely difficult for us to keep pace and develop free replacements for all these devices. It seems as though the proprietary software companies have a plan to bury us in a volume of proprietary devices. Just not sure what our way forward will be on these issues.

Thanks,

Mike

--
support computing freedom and join the FSF: http://www.fsf.org/