Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?

From: Adam Bolte
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:39:36 +1100

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:26:08PM +0100, rysiek wrote:
> Dnia niedziela, 15 marca 2015 21:00:47 Lori Nagel pisze:
> > People actually do care about privacy a lot.  I've talked to a lot
> > of people outside the free software movement, and some of them
> > don't use facebook, or don't use it as much as they could because
> > of privacy concerns.
>
> +1
>
> The prevailing "feel" when I talk to people about privacy (and due
> to my line of work and activism, I do that *a lot*) is that people
> *do care*, but they don't have any concrete tools or ways to act
> upon that.

I suspect that your work and activism probably limit the spectrum of
people you talk to. eg. People concerned about business, people from
tech conferences and meet-ups, etc.

I'm on the committee of a free software group in my area that runs
monthly meet-ups, and likely everyone who attends has an interest in
privacy. I can contrast that to people I know and work with in the web
industry, where the people who care about privacy issues are easily in
the minority (and most of the ones I do know who care also overlap
with those I know from the free software group).

If you talk to people on the street, I suspect they'll all say
something similar to what you have heard - that they care about
privacy issues. But when you actually look at what they are doing, I
doubt most of them are doing anything about for themselves.
Convenience, ease and efficiency takes priority with it's an option
for their work-flow.

Not trying to be negative here for the sake of being negative, but I
cannot agree with your assessment; it indicates the opposite of my
experience. Having said that, probably both of our experiences are too
small and insignificant to get an accurate portrayal of the full
situation, which probably also varies greatly from region to region.