Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Truly decentralized/federated software develop

From: rysiek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Truly decentralized/federated software development platforms?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 11:28:49 +0100

Dnia sobota, 21 marca 2015 11:34:31 Miles Fidelman pisze:
> rysiek wrote:

> >> Doesn't have to be.  NNTP will run just fine on a desktop or laptop.
> >
> > I was using the word "server" in the "networky" sense, not the "large flat
> > harwadre thingy on a rack" sense.
> >
> >> It's designed to be part of a mesh.
> >
> > /me has to look a bit deeper into it, then
>
> Check out UUCP while you're at it - it's predecessor.
>
> USENET - older than the Internet, and still going strong.

Yeah, I know Usenet (been a moderate user for a few years), but I was under
the impression that USENET is built more like GNU Social than Twister. I.e.
the default mode of operation is users using servers that communicate with
each other, rather than a truly peer to peer distributed system.

This is related to how easy or hard it is to set-up an instance (GNU Social:
needs some work and sysadmin knowledge; Twister: just run it, you're done).
Obviously I can run my own personal GNU Social instance for myself only, but
that's not the default (nor very sane) way of doing things there.

Anyway, I'll look into it as I said. Thanks.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147