[libreplanet-discuss] startpage.com and archive.org use JS differently

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] startpage.com and archive.org use JS differently
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:12:48 -0500

klez wrote:
I've noticed a couple of site that at the moment work quite well
without JavaScript enabled, but are rolling out new JS heavy versions
that don't work at all if scripts are disabled.

In particular, I'm singling out:

  * Startpage: https://new.startpage.com/

I can use this page to submit searches without Javascript. I can also see and visit the list of hits I get in return, all without Javascript enabled. The browser shortcuts I'm using should continue to work as well (but that can only really be known when the new page goes into production use).

  * The Internet Archive: https://archive.org/v2

Here I can submit searches without Javascript but I get a partial page in response showing me the total result count and collections with counts, but no individual search hits.

I'll write to archive.org about this as well as their site is quite important as an archiving facility that (last I checked) worked with free software (FTP-based uploads, permalink downloads that require no registration or web access beyond downloading the file).