Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,]

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,]
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 07:00:55 -0400

----- Forwarded message from Logan Streondj <streondj@gmail.com> -----

Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 06:36:09 -0400
From: Logan Streondj <streondj@gmail.com>
To: amp@richmond.ml

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 09:16:12PM +0100, Andrés Muñiz Piniella wrote:

> >> There are, also, too many others who know only
> >> "Open Source". We need to let people know about "philosophy" behind
> >the
> >> GNU Project, without misrepresentation.
> >
> >If the Bible had an ND clause, then it would have never gotten
> >past Judaism, and may have been lost to even Hebrews after the
> >diaspora, when many of them forgot how to speak Hebrew.
> >
> >Sure maybe there was some risk in translating the bible to
> >Greek, Latin, or English,  but it did make it more accessible,
> >by now, most people in the world know about it,
> >it having been translated to 6,000+ languages.
> >

> Not going one way or the other here but...
>
> I feel it is better example is to use the Greek Philosophy that was lost in
> original language but was saved thanks to the arab thirst for knowledge in
> the (not so dark for some) middle ages [1]. Still today (or at least 12 years
> ago), Nicomacean Ethics[citation needed] has some editions that do not
> express the true meaning

the "true meaning" is different for each person, it depends
entirely on what that person understood of the text.
Yes, it's true, I've recently experienced, that people can
misunderstand, even when translating from English to English,
still I am happy to see such "imperfect" copies, in some ways
they are better, perhaps easier for others to undestand.

> because they go from original Arab language to language A and later to
> language B and finally language C. If you leave it in public domain (with
> freedom distribution) this kind of thing happens, I guess. Rather than
> directly from Arab language where one would guess is closer to the original
> meaning.

the nice part is, that someone can read a more accessible
watered down version, such as which may be taught in a course,
and if they are really curious they can go back and read the
original, or something closer to the original.

The increased number of versions of it, simply means that more
different people could read and understand it. There are many
dialects of even English, publishing it in a different dialect,
could help make it less intimidating for new users.

for instance when one of my recent works was "translated" the
user was having trouble particularly with technical jargon
terms, so I helped clarify what they meant in a more colloquial
register.

Though I'm assuming it is pretty much hopeless to attempt to
have GNU stuff translated at this point, likely we'll simply
have to open a GNU alternative which has Libre propoganda,
in addition to Libre software.
We could even have Sane mailing lists, which reply to the
mailing list, instead of just one person.

Anthropologists could look back at this curious time in history,
where people DIDN't want their ideas to reproduce, or limited
them to cloning. Like a memetic primordial ooze. :-)

----- End forwarded message -----