Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:11:57 -0400

Le 2015-10-17 11:38, Robert Call (Bob) a écrit :
We need to stop endorsing centralized solutions and
develop standards for free software projects to host their own
repositories or use / develop tools that aid projects in doing so.
+1 to this!

I got the announcement too: http://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-ethical-repo-criteria

I am not against identify non-ethical hosting of projects, but we can't expect to just instill guilt to provoke action + change, and coming up with another standard, unless adopted and implemented in one of the current, "modern", acceptable self-hosted packages which would seem worth the effort.

Would self-hosting with Savane/others be an acceptable next-step (after knowing your project isn't "ethically hosted")? Probably not, as is was designed to be centralized, precisely. Savane also seems abandoned, why (no activity in 6y -https://www.openhub.net/p/11583) ?

It seems this would need cleanup + updating:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/WhyChooseSavannah/

Some hints:
http://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/867/self-hosted-replacement-for-github
http://alternativeto.net/software/github/?license=opensource

Targetting one of them as high-priority to evolve into a de-centralized model (like was explained for MediaGobling + PumpIO at GNU30) would seem a logical next step.

F.

--
Fabián Rodríguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca