Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Help Scratch gain HTML5 support and be free!

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Help Scratch gain HTML5 support and be free!
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 13:02:36 -0400

On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 13:15:11 +0200, Fabio Pesari wrote:
> Sadly, right now it uses Adobe AIR/Flash to play those programs and
> animations in web browsers, and it seems that the official team doesn't
> think porting the exporter to HTML5 has a high priority ([2]), and
> although some independent developers started development, they stopped
> at around 40% on May 8, 2015 ([3]).

Yes, this is incredibly unfortunate; I was excited to introduce my son
to programming with it, but if I do so, I'll have to use an older
version of it.  I'm glad you're bringing it up.

> I think it's good that so many schools, libraries and museums adopted a
> free program, but most people use mobile devices nowadays, and Flash
> doesn't work on all of them, so this could likely put an end to
> Scratch's adoption, which will likely mean a proprietary program will be
> used instead.

Since Scratch uses Flash, it's effectively encouraging use of
proprietary software and can't practically be used on a free
system[*]---it's good that Scratch is free software, but it's out of
reach for those who value their freedoms and reject proprietary
software.

[*] I didn't have the time to try Gnash or Shumway; I probably
should.  Has anyone else here?  I wouldn't consider that a substitute
for an ActionScript replacement, but it'd be a viable option.  Shumway
is a JavaScript/HTML5 player, so that would also work on other devices
in the meantime.  Lmk if you have success.

So adoption should be a secondary goal.  I have no choice but to reject
Scratch entirely at the moment (barring Gnash or Shumway).  But it'll be
a good consequence; Scratch would lend itself well to the ever-growing
number of touchscreen devices.

It's also important for users' privacy, and for reasons of SaaSS, that
Scratch's HTML5 implementation be able to run offline, preferably
invoked like any other program on the computer, and able to store data
locally on the users' computer.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer