Re: [libreplanet-discuss] N1, GPL violation?

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] N1, GPL violation?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:16:35 -0400

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 17:17:44 +0200, Nils Gillmann wrote:
> I don't have the resources (time) to deal with this, but we are
> pretty sure that N1[1] is violating the GPL.

Unfortunately, if N1 is the copyright holder, then they can't really
violate (in a useful sense) their own license---as the copyright holder,
they're the only one that can enforce it.

I notice also that they don't include a full copy of the GNU GPLv3+
(they just have a mention of it in LICENSE.md).

> It is a GPLv3 or later[2] project which only provides apm "build"
> instructions to users and no instructions (or even hints) on how
> to build your own binaries.

What's the result of the build?  Is it not something you can run?

https://github.com/nylas/N1/tree/master/build

JavaScript (well, CoffeeScript in this case, I suppose) projects don't
really have "binaries".

See also https://github.com/nylas/N1/blob/master/.travis.yml

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer