[libreplanet-discuss] Libre Hardware

From: Joel Kahn
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Libre Hardware
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 20:54:41 +0000 (UTC)

In reference to a recent discussion....

Some work is being done towards using 3D
printers to make microprocessors and other
electronic components from 'simpler'
materials. In theory, this might eventually
make it possible to produce functioning
hardware that would not be under patent
restrictions &c and would provide a common
foundation for a totally libre environment
from the molecules on up. In practice, I
suppose that both the engineering and legal
issues will be messy, and I'm not expecting
to see functional machines with this scenario
in my lifetime. Something to think about though.

Joel