Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UHRD

From: Francois Soulard
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UHRD
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 02:30:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

> If we truely believe Free Software is a Human Right, I do, then why
> have
> we not tryied to get the United Nations to append the Human Rights
> Charter?

In this way, I just mention this initiative of the United Nations to create a
group supporting the Technology Facilitation Mechanism (a process related to
the framework of the new Sustainable Development Goals at global level).
http://sd.iisd.org/news/un-announces-composition-terms-of-10-member-group-to-support-tfm/
https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/topics/technology/facilitationmechanism/10membergroup

As we know, United Nations are occupied by very different interests, including
obviously mega-corporations and industries ones. But this process I mentioned
before has the support of the ETC group for example, a very activist group
struggling against private colonization and impact of technologies in different
fields and regions. UN initiated this group under the proposals of various
networks, aiming to strengthen the pressure on governments and lobbyings. Let's
see if free software/hardware/infrastructure could be part of the discussion
and connected to rights and development frameworks as you suggested.

Smiles,
François Soulard
Communication group for post-Rio+20 struggles
Buenos Aires - Argentina