[libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: Re: My First of Five

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: Re: My First of Five
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 11:19:46 +0200

Forwarding Yui's message.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] My First of Five
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 15:31:22 +0300
From: Yui Hirasawa <yui@cock.li>
To: Fabio Pesari <fabiop@gnu.org>

> DRM in hardware is a whole another issue: monitors and CPUs are bad
> enough, but think about self-driving cars or medical implants. Those
> things can decide who lives and who dies and DRM in them is frankly
> dangerous. But again, it's their devices and their rules.

It is not their device. After you buy it it's your device. There was
that recent thing about farmers who were hacking their tractor firmware
and breaking the EULA and when that was legalized I think it also
applied to regular cars.

I doubt any jurisdiction would classify something that is inside a
person's body as property of the company who made it instead of the
person it is inside of.

> What must be prevented is DRM becoming legally obligatory, which I
> think could happen in some fields (3D printing comes to my mind).

What a scary thought. Good thing we can 3D print 3D printers and use
free software in them. I doubt it will require any special made micro
controllers anytime soon so designs made for general purpose
microprocessors shouldn't be affected.