Re: [libreplanet-discuss] programming language package manager

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] programming language package manager
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 08:49:25 -0400

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:25:03 +0200, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
> I would also suggest that any Haskell developers and users who are
> reading this email try to convince Hackage and haskell.org into
> changing "open source" to *free software*, thereby highlighting what
> really matters.

Not that it is ideal, but if they reject a full replacement to "free
software", maybe they'd consider "free/libre and open source software".

I'm not fond of "free and open source software" because (as an
increasing trend) often times when I read it, it means "free as in beer
and open source software", and this is what users are trained to
recognize.  But that's also better than just "open source", and can be
supplemented with a hyperlink on "free" to point to
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>.

Unless you disagree, Richard.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer