Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is disroot ok?

From: Steven D. Brewer
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is disroot ok?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 09:37:07 -0500

On 12/3/17 10:26 PM, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
This is nice if you only ever access your email from a single host. Otherwise you end up with bits of email scattered over all over the place.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful considerations about email.

I started doing email long, long before IMAP and have maintained the practice of having my work mail repose on my Desktop workstation in my office and my personal email repose on my home server. I have email clients (Thunderbird, currently) on those systems use POP3 to download the mail and leave it on the server for a couple of weeks and, during that time I can use IMAP from other clients (phone, laptop, etc) to look at email from the past week or two on the mail server. Note: I'm not recommending this practice -- just describing what I do.

What I've wanted to do for a while, however, is set up an email archiving system: A searchable, permanent repository for my old email, so I would neither need to leave it on the server nor have to dig through old POP mbox files to find things.

I've looked at piler:
  http://www.mailpiler.org/
but haven't actually set it up. Partly because mbox files, tho creepy, are pretty standard and portable, whereas in piler, each message is "parsed, disassembled, compressed, encrypted, and finally stored in the file system: one file for every email and attachment." That sounds pretty irrevocable.

Any other suggestions for how to both (1) chart a path forward and (2) deal with many years of accumulated email through some integrated solution?

--
Steven D. BREWER <sbrewer@bio.umass.edu>
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/about/directories/faculty/steven-d-brewer