Re: [libreplanet-discuss] 7 Reasons to Avoid Open Source?

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] 7 Reasons to Avoid Open Source?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:20:26 -0200

If the original misinformation article website weren't forcing non-free
client-side software through JS I would vote for mentioning Michael
Pagan's reply there.

Also, I have some points to add to Michael Pagan's reply:

I agree with the bias of "intellectual property", also see the comments
I made on [1].

On the interoperability issues, see [2]. As for the costs, the author of
the article missed it entirely.

Financially speaking, while the acquisition cost of free/libre software
*can be* almost zero or completely so (we can also hook "open source"
here, no matter if it follows the free/libre software *philosophy* or
not), the fact is that they both have maintainance, customization and
training costs just as equal as the counterparts (although people
strangely perceive these differently as having less
transition/maintainance cost, which as far as I can see is caused by
their "path dependency" on the latter).

In the end of the day, however, between "open source" projects and
free/libre software projects (and now I'm refering only to those which
follow the free/libre software *philosophy*, and so disregarding the
"open source" ones), only the free/libre seem to be able to provide
results which are in conformity with their primary goal.

In other words, by making an overview of open source projects --- that
is: which have the primary goal of following the open source development
methodoly and (I assume) do so following the Open Source Initiative's
definition of "open source", which promises quality, reliability and
flexibilty --- with their results and how many times they fulfilled
their promise (of quality, reliability and flexibilty); and by making
the same comparison between free/libre software projects and how many
times they fulfilled the promise of providing a
free/libre-software-*philosophy*-compliant result --- no matter if there
were "quality", reliability and flexibility bugs/issues, because the
main gola/promise was never to have none ---, one can see that the
latter has the primary goal/promise carefully set to something which can
be attested with more ease.

So for the latter case, the "quality" in conformity with primary
goal/promise is accomplished. For a similar argumentation see [3].

As for documentation, +1 for mentioning the importance of GNU
Info/Texinfo pages. ;)

Also, I'm not a developer, but I noticed that at least GNU Guile Scheme
and Emacs Lisp allow "in-declaration (docstring)" documentation that
would enable someone to use a software to display those, similarly to
what is done inside Emacs when someone does M-x describe-function RET or
the same for variables but replacing "function" accordingly. As a plus,
discarding the quantity of parenthesis, at least for me GNU Guile Scheme
and Emacs Lisp are more senile in regards to how to quote or postpone
evaluation of things, besides suffering less from loops. There are other
advantages but I'll limit myself for now. ;)

[1]
<https://listas.trisquel.info/pipermail/trisquel-users/2017-November/083315.html>.

[2] <https://lists.fsfe.org/pipermail/discussion/2017-November/012087.html>.

[3] <https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libby/m/mako/>.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com