Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Videos from LibrePlanet

From: Andrey Skvortsov
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Videos from LibrePlanet
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 12:01:27 +0300

Hi,

On 18-01-28 22:07, Andrey Skvortsov wrote:
> On 18-01-28 10:14, John Sullivan wrote:
> > On January 28, 2018 3:03:01 AM PST, Andrey Skvortsov
> > <andrej.skvortzov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >Thank you, John.
> > >The best way would be to have both slides and their capture
> > >on video. Usually it's not very convenient to switch between video
> > >player and slides viewer.  And it will not help at all, if screencast
> > >is show or some demo is demonstated during the talk.
> >
> > Of course that's better, and we are working on it.

It's very sad, that videos from LP18 don't capture slides.
I think that capturing slides is more important than capturing table,
cable management and even speaker. It doesn't bring much information
about topic for a viewer. For sure it's nice to have look at a speaker, but
20-30
seconds just before presentation and during Q&A at the end is enough, IMHO.

Slides contain important points of the talk. And make it easier for a
viewer to understand the topic speaker is talking about.

What about people that a not that good at understanding spoken
English yet, but can read easily? Capturing slides would help them a lot!

What about people watching LP stream? Slides are not available and
therefore it's sometimes hard to follow presentation.

If you want to capture slides and speaker at the same time and mix
them together, you may talk to Debian folk. They do very good job at DebConf.

> > Very few speakers
> > have live demos, so in the meantime you can get 90% of the way there
> > by flipping through the PDF in a window next to the video. No real
> > switching required, keep the window focus on the PDF viewer and hit
> > space as needed :)

True, if you are watching it on PC. But sometimes it's really hard to
find 40 minutes for just watching videos on PC.
If you watch video on the go smartphone/tablet, it's pretty
uncomfortable. If 40-minutes talk has 20 slides, you have to switch
between applications every two minutes. It's very inconvenient.

FSF is working hard to make information about Free Software, why not
make presentation from LP easier for viewers?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Skvortsov