libtool

Re: Separate Source Directories

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: Separate Source Directories
Date: 18 Jan 2001 10:42:25 +1100

    Eric> I know Libtool doesn't currently support this feature but
    Eric> surely there are some software distributions out there that
    Eric> already do something like this?

You can use convenience libraries...

Current versions of libtool are broken (from my experience) in that
you PIC code is used for static libraries. I read something in this
mailing list about solving this problem, so hopefully it has already
been fixed, at least in the CVS repository for version 1.4, but I have
not yet tested this.

You create a convenience library in Makefile.am (assuming you
use automake) with something like:

noinst_LTLIBRARIES      = libvers.la
libvers_la_SOURCES      = print_version.c

and link libvers.la into the main library. libtool should take care of
the rest (this sample taken from Heimdal).

(oh, before my patch the upstream version also had:
libvers_la_LDFLAGS     = -static
which meant non-PIC code was compiled in the shared libraries. I didn't
like this, so removed it).
--
Brian May <address@hidden>