libtool

Re: Win32: Autotools/libtool and MS VC++?

From: Morten Eriksen
Subject: Re: Win32: Autotools/libtool and MS VC++?
Date: 24 Jan 2001 17:48:04 +0100

Marc van Woerkom <address@hidden> writes:

> [...] what happens if one really wants to use the Microsoft C/C++
> compiler?

One solution we've found to work well is to wrap the cl.exe compiler
(and the linker) within a shell script that converts "UNIX-style"
compiler arguments into what MSVC++ expects.

To see our take on how to do that, check out the Coin project at
<URL:http://www.coin3d.org>. We've got a MSVC++ script working very
well, and a Borland C++ wrapper script which is not-quite-there.

We even make .dll's with this thing -- but with some hacks. In
general, Autoconf and Automake have all the stuff in place to do a
clean wrapper script for cl.exe, but Libtool doesn't seem to be quite
up to par yet.

I also submitted and got accepted a patch to do dependency tracking
with MSVC++'s cl.exe, so that's already part of the current Automake
CVS.

Regards,
Morten