libtool

Re: libgcj/1736

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: libgcj/1736
Date: 06 Mar 2001 04:04:48 -0300

On Mar  6, 2001, Bryce McKinlay <address@hidden> wrote:

> Synopsis:        [irix 6.5] Cannot create libgcj - Arg list too long
> Okay, it appears that libtool has recently got the feature we need:

Yep.

> ld: unrecognized option `-Wl,--whole-archive'
> ld: use the --help option for usage information

> So, it's trying to pass the compiler -Wl flag directly to the linker
> for some reason. I hacked the libtool script a bit and everything
> worked.)

Care to post your hacks? :-)

> But then I realised that this doesn't help us at all - regardless of
> what libtool does the command line that _make_ is passing to libtool
> is still too long!

Which is why Robert also implemented support for -input-file.  He
posted it to libtool-patches on Feb 23, I approved it on Mar 2.  I
don't know why he hasn't checked it in yet, but you may want to give
it a try.  I've been meaning to update libtool in the GCC tree, I was
just waiting for his patch to go in and for a new snapshot to do some
multi-platform testing of it.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}