libtool

Re: FAIL: demo-make.test

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: Re: FAIL: demo-make.test
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:19:28 +0000

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 03:09:54PM -0500, edward wrote:
> > On Monday 12 March 2001  7:08 pm, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > > Using source updated Mar 12 11:42 GMT on NetBSD-1.5S/i386 I have a few
> > > failed tests. In directory tests running demo-conf.test then
> demo-make.test
> > > gives...
> > >
> > > creating hell
> > > /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2   -o hell.static -static
> main.o
> > > libhello.la gcc -g -O2 -o hell.static main.o  ./.libs/libhello.a -lm
> > > gmake: *** No rule to make target `helldl', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
>
> this is due to an automake limitation in cvs (i don't know about the
> released automake). akim demaille reports a number of people have solved
> this already. my particular fix (which i call the partially specified
> conditional target patch) is mentioned here:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2001-03/msg00162.html

I hate to say this, but when I added the automake.in patch from here, I
then had

FAIL: pr19.test
FAIL: pr87.test
FAIL: subdirbuiltsources.test

Then again this is with today's 1.978 automake.in, so your patch might need
modification?

> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/libtool/2001-March/004426.html

didn't understand this one..

> > Are you using CVS automake by any chance?  HEAD libtool has had a lot of
> > testing with automake-1.4, perhaps there is a transitory bug in automake?

Yes I am using CVS automake here, though all its checks pass (without the
aforementioned patch)

> > Either way, an examination of Makefile,in might shed some light on the
> matter.

Indeed - more later...

Cheers,

Patrick