libtool

Re: linking modules into programs problem

From: Nick Hudson
Subject: Re: linking modules into programs problem
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 04:51:33 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:49:34 +0100 (MET), Michael Matz wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Nick Hudson wrote:
>  > KDE2 has a habit of creating modules and then linking them into
>  > programs. Now this isn't a problem if the modules are named libNAME.la,
>  > but if they are named NAME.la then I see build errors on NetBSD/a.out.
>  > I've attached a simplified exmaple from each of NetBSD/ELF and
>  > NetBSD/a.out.
>
>  Isn't this, what the "$need_lib_prefix" (or how it's called, I can't
check
>  right now) variable is all about?  To force the actual filenames to be
>  libfrob.*, although the .la files is frob.la?  Then NetBSD/a.out should
>  set that.

OK, here's the problem...

Setting need_lib_prefix to yes forces every module to be prefixed with lib.
This is counter intuitive as dlopen("module.so") works so why should libtool
force it to be called libmodule.so?

Having need_lib_prefix to yes does allow modules to be linked into libraries
and binaries, but again this is counter intuitive as libraries are linked in
not modules.

I would agree with Alexandre and say that libtool should issue a warning or
error if something attempt's to link in a module.

What's the best way of getting this "fixed" in KDE?

Nick
--
aka address@hidden, address@hidden

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite UK
 Visit http://inbox.excite.co.uk/