libtool

Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin updates

From: Gary V . Vaughan
Subject: Re: ok, new libtool for cygwin updates
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:35:00 +0100

On Friday 30 March 2001  2:23 am, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2001, "Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Which reminds me... once this patch is in and working, I'd like to
> > release libtool-1.3d (probably over the weekend) and declare a feature
> > freeze in HEAD so that we can shake the bugs out and release 1.4 a week
> > or two later.
> >
> > Is that okay with everyone?
>
> Not really.  We really must fix the bug that causes us to remove
> duplicate libraries before releasing 1.4.

Huh?  Seems like I'm missing something here.  What is this bug exactly?

If it is not a showstopper (i.e. makes libtool not work in the common case),
then releasing 1.3d seems like a good way to have people look at it and help
with patches...  Of course I expect to wait until all known bugs are fixed
before releasing 1.4.  After that I'm inclined to experiment with more
regular alpha releases -- say one a month except where we discover
showstoppers in CVS which would need to be fixed before making an alpha
release.  If we have a good feeling about a couple of consecutive alphas and
there are no known bugs, we can make an impromptu point release without the
undue delays that we have had by piling more and more features in to 1.4.

Infact, I'm keen to remove the multiple branches philosophy which has helped
to slow development so much in the last year or two, but rather to have a
regular alpha release process, so that before making major changes (such as
Bruce's AutoGen patch) we dub the next scheduled alpha as a feature freeze,
concentrate on only bug fixing for the next cycle, and then make a full point
release with maintenance branch so that the big change can develop in the
trunk, and have everyone look at it.  The situation we have at the moment
with half of our users taking releases from MLB and half from HEAD means that
finding bugs takes twice as long.  What do you think?

> > Then we can finally get on with the messy business of merging
> > MLB... any volunteers? =)O|
>
> Well...  Moving MLB onto the trunk is trivial, so I could do that, for
> sure.  However, merging it such that ltconfig.in is folded into
> libtool.m4 in the process isn't.

I'd be happy to redo the ltconfig elimination in MLB after 1.4 and before the
merge.  I must admit that I don't currently know how to combine this with the
tags feature... infact, since I don't use MLB myself, I don't even know how
tags work.  Maybe we could agree to break MLB for a while so that I can
eliminate ltconfig, but leave someone more intimate with tags to get them
working again afterwards?  After that, the merge should become much easier.
Comments?

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: address@hidden
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc