libtool

bug? bootstrapping libtool on linux

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: bug? bootstrapping libtool on linux
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:18:30 +0200

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all your impressive work.

I just got myself autoconf/automake/libtool from CVS and compiled the stuff
on a system that had autoconf, automake, but no libtool.

I first installed the new autoconf/automake, then I did

% ./bootstrap

% make

During this make I get complaints that ./libtool does not exsist in libtdl
(see below, after my sig.). Generating a softlink

% ln -s ../libtool

cures the problem.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Müller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant

(unsurprising configure output snipped)

checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... no
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
configure: creating ./config.status
chmod +x libtool
CONFIG_FILES=libtoolize CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating libtoolize
chmod +x libtoolize
make[1]: Leaving directory `/big-disk/home/muellerw/libtool'
Making all in libltdl
make[1]: Entering directory `/big-disk/home/muellerw/libtool/libltdl'
make  all-am
make[2]: Entering directory `/big-disk/home/muellerw/libtool/libltdl'
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g -O2
-c -o ltdl.lo `test -f ltdl.c || echo './'`ltdl.c
./libtool: ./libtool: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [ltdl.lo] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/big-disk/home/muellerw/libtool/libltdl'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/big-disk/home/muellerw/libtool/libltdl'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1