libtool

Re: libtool doesn't allow "make DESTDIR=`pwd`/foo install" anymore.

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: libtool doesn't allow "make DESTDIR=`pwd`/foo install" anymore.
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:38:37 -0600

I thought I had posted to the list earlier, but must have sent this to a specific person.

This libtool issue is a known and fixed problem in libtool cvs. I built rpms of that snapshot of libtool and I've tested it and it does work. If you want to try the RPMS, I stashed them in here
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/software

I do now know what patch is required to make libtool-1.4.2 work as it is currently released, I've been asking about. My understanding is that the Debian packager of libtool has a patch which fixes the problem.

I have tried taking the patch which was applied in cvs and applying it to libtool-1-4.2, but that caused segfaults when running programs that use libtool, so for the moment I'm running the libtool cvs snapshot from
2001-11-21.

http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/software/libtool-20011121-1pj.i386.rpm

I have no idea if this edition introduces new bugs or not, I wish I could run a minimally modified 1.4.2