libtool

RE: Need more

From: Howard Chu
Subject: RE: Need more
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:31:34 -0700

This is something I've requested and submitted patches for since at least 3
years ago now. No, libtool does NOT need to know at configure time. You can
configure libtool to produce both static and shared objects, then provide a
runtime switch to turn one or the other off during compile and link. I don't
understand why you insist on only allowing the selection at configure time.
This is seriously inconvenient when building a mix of static and dynamic
libraries in a single project, it pretty much requires us to configure two or
more separate copies of libtool just to get the different combinations.

  -- Howard Chu