libtool

g++ is not used by libtool

From: Christoph Bartoschek
Subject: g++ is not used by libtool
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:57:26 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to compile fam-2.6.10 from
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/download/stable/fam-2.6.10.tar.gz

The problem is that fam is a C++ library and libtool is not capable of C++.

In the linking step the following command is issued:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link g++  -g -O2   -o libfam.la
-rpath /usr/local/lib -export-symbols fam.sym Client.lo fam.lo -lstdc++

libtool translates this to several commands and this one:

gcc -shared  Client.lo fam.lo  /usr/lib/libstdc++.so  -Wl,-soname
-Wl,libfam.so.0 -Wl,-retain-symbols-file -Wl,fam.sym
-o .libs/libfam.so.0.0.0

Why is not g++ called?  Why is /usr/lib/libstdc++.so added to the command
line?   The correct command line would be:

g++ -shared  Client.lo fam.lo -Wl,-soname -Wl,libfam.so.0
-Wl,-retain-symbols-file -Wl,fam.sym -o .libs/libfam.so.0.0.0

How can I achieve that  g++ is called and not gcc?  And how to get rid
of  /usr/lib/libstdc++.so correctly?  I've found the line

libfam_la_LIBADD = -lstdc++

in Makefile.in.  I guess the fam developers added this line, because libtool
was not able to use g++ and they could not figure out how to change this
situation.  When I remove this line. libtool is not called with  -lstdc++
which is also correct, but  libtool itself still calls gcc.

How to resolve this situation?

Christoph Bartoschek