libtool

Re: static lib with libtool 1.5

From: Jeremie LE HEN
Subject: Re: static lib with libtool 1.5
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:29:55 +0200

Hi Ralf,

> > Ok, I didn't know that too :-).  I've had a look through the
> > documentation, it would be worth to give an example of the use of
> > this mode, IMHO.
>
> Your documentation points are valid, thanks.  We should work on that.

You are welcome, I can update the documentation about these subjects if
someone points me out the documentation source file (maybe it's simply
the HTML file ?), and then send the diff here.

> > I think I got my problem resolved by using the lastest version of
> > libtool (1.5.18) : with exactly the same command sequence, I get
> > a static library with libtool-1.5.18 in the .libs/ directory, while
> > libtool-1.5.6 doesn't produce it.  Is it a known behaviour ?  Are there
> > any workaround to this, except upgrading my libtool version (we have
> > our own Debian distribution at work, and upgrading a package in it is,
> > unfortunately, a heavy process, especially when the package is still
> > not released by the Debian maintainer) ?  If there isn't, I would send
> > a notice to the Debian maintainer to let him know about this bug.
>
> Well, AFAIK the Debian Libtool packages are orphaned at the moment, due
> to Scott not working on them any more.  This is very unfortunate, I hope
> this changes soon.
>
> Fortunately, your problem is not related to 1.5.6 vs 1.5.18 at all (at
> least not a lot).  If you had configured and compiled 1.5.6 yourself
> with "cc" as C compiler, it would have worked fine.  Or used "gcc"
> instead of "cc" as compiler name.  Or -- and this is the real solution
> to your problem -- add "--tag=CC" to your command line.  I actually
> forgot to mention this the first time around:
>
>   libtool --tag=CC --mode=link cc -o ...
>
> There are a couple of limitations in Libtool, when used the way you do:
> It will only work with the compiler and linker it was configured with.
> (For example, it will do the wrong thing when used with icc; since "cc"
> in your case is the same as gcc, strictly speaking this is a libtool
> bug, as it matches the given name only, which it should not; however, I
> don't know an easy portable way out of this limitation).
> The other point I just noted is that 1.5.18 will bomb out in some cases
> (when given an "unknown" compiler name) where Debian-1.5.6 won't.. let's
> see.

Thank you for this clear explanation.  However, could you tell me a
little bit more on the --tag option, I can't see anything in the
documentation about this.  I would be glad to add a note on this
option too.

Thank you again.
Best regards,
--