libtool

Re: Libtool -release and static libraries.

From: Brendon Costa
Subject: Re: Libtool -release and static libraries.
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:04:28 +1100

address@hidden@_la_CPPFLAGS=-I$(top_builddir)/src

> > Take the string "address@hidden@.la" (that's what
> > Automake reads).  To canonize it, replace characters that are neither
> > alphanumeric nor strudels by underscores.  That gives
> > "address@hidden@_la".  So your second variable should
> > be "address@hidden@_la_CPPFLAGS".

I am still very new to using automake. I can see where I went wrong
with the automake "code" above now, thanks for the pointer. I have
been using a jam and autoconf build system based on the build
environment used for the open source 3D engine Crystal Space, but now
I have decided to try using automake so forgive my mistakes in the
usage of automake.

Anyhow, regardless of whether or not how I was attempting to achieve
library renaming is valid or not, I still have the same problem in
that I wish to have the library re-named from:

libatcppunit.la

libatcppunit-1.0.6.la

without having to edit all the Makefile.am files every time I change
the package version. If libtool -release flag also renamed static
libraries as well as dynamic ones, then I could do this simply using:

lib_LTLIBRARIES=libatcppunit.la

address@hidden@ -I$(top_builddir)/src
address@hidden@ -release $(PACKAGE_VERSION)
address@hidden@

which is what I thought the purpose of the -release flag was for. I
would also like to have it install atcppunit.la as a symlink to
atcppunit-1.0.6.la upon installation (Which I don't know how I would
achieve by just changing the name of the library to a versioned name
in the automake file). Using this libtool -release method I would not
have to edit the Makefile.am each time I change the library version
and I assume the the symlink would be generated as well.

Are there any comments on the rest of my last email ignoring my
erroneous usage of automake?

Thanks again,
Brendon.