libtool

Re: Why '-R' option doesn't support relative path?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Why '-R' option doesn't support relative path?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:49:01 +0100

Hi Brian,

* Brian Lu wrote on Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:05:26AM CET:

> I need to set '$ORIGIN' in final executable RUNPATH. So user can install
> Ekiga anywhere he likes. I uses '-R $ORIGIN' to achieve this.
> But libtool told me that '-R' option doesn't support relative path.

Right.  Libtool is missing several bits to be able to properly support
such relocatable installations.  One issue is that the installed libtool
library file (the one ending in .la) will have absolute paths, so if you
later link some program against the installed library using libtool, it
will not get the correct run path if the package has been moved
elsewhere.  Another issue is that libtool does not yet have the proper
logic to follow multiple installed libraries with interdependencies in
the $ORIGIN case.

> Can someone tell me why or if there is a workaround?

Sorry, as far as I know there is currently no good workaround for this.
I realize that this is very desirable, though, and would like to fix it
eventually.  But it'll not be trivial, and require a few changes.

Sorry,
Ralf