libtool

Re: Problems creating convenience libraries on IRIX 6.5 if -rpath linker

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problems creating convenience libraries on IRIX 6.5 if -rpath linker option used
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 08:54:44 +0200

Hello Tuomas,

* Tuomas Jormola wrote on Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 01:23:24PM CEST:
> I'm trying to compile glib 2.16.3 on IRIX 6.5 using SGI's MipsPro 7.4.3m
> compiler toolchain. I'm using the custom prefix /opt/local for the stuff
> I'm compiling. I want to setup run-time linker search path for the
> binaries to the prefix so I'm using the following flags are used when
> configuring:
>
> CC="cc -64 -mips4 -c99" \
>       CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include \
>       LDFLAGS="-rpath /opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib"
>       ./configure --prefix=/opt/local ...

When using libtool, you should not use '-rpath' to add to the run path.
To libtool that means that, when you're creating a library, that it's to
be shared and it will eventually be installed in LIBDIR.  Only for
programs does -rpath do what you want (but -R does the same).

Actually, for the programs generated by libtool that link against
libraries installed into /opt/local/lib, libtool will add run paths to
/opt/local/lib anyway.  For the rest, you can use -R (which, on IRIX,
will be translated by libtool into -rpath; and on other systems into
their appropriate flag).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf