libtool

Re: Installed libs wrongly used on 64-bit Linux?

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: Installed libs wrongly used on 64-bit Linux?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:42:12 -0500

On Thursday 22 January 2009 15:13:37 Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Tim Mooney wrote:
> > In my case, I'm 100% certain that the problem relates to the fact that
> > I'm using a build root while packaging the software (RPM).  Are both of
> > your users doing the same?
>
> One user (the one with the link to the installed library) used a
> Gentoo ebuild and another used a SRPM spec file.  Perhaps both of
> these use a build root.

Gentoo uses a "build root" in the same sense.  all packages are compiled and
then installed into a temporary root before being merged to the actual file
system.  we utilize DESTDIR very heavily.  i imagine the issue you're hitting
would be easily reproducible by:
 - install an older version of the package in /
 - build up the latest version in ~/ and then do:
        $ make install DESTDIR=$PWD/foo
and then verify that everything in foo/ is linked against the right thing
-mike