libtool

Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.7b released (2.2.8 release candidate).
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 00:56:54 +0300

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Ralf Wildenhues
<address@hidden> wrote:
> * Alon Bar-Lev wrote on Sat, May 22, 2010 at 11:13:50AM CEST:

>> > But breaks other things on this system.
>>
>> Can you please outline [logically] a solution for achieving this
>> without breaking other things?
>> If you give me a hint I can check it out and produce another solution.
>
> Not easy, because I haven't analyzed the issues that show up when
> setting pass_all.  I know it breaks a few testsuite tests (and I fear
> it breaks more things that we don't test in our testsuite), but it's
> been a while and I haven't been taking good notes back then.  It might
> be that some of the libtool logic is flawed wrt. the w32 semantics.

Will  windows be supported or not?
I've gone a long way in order to convince people of using
autoconf/automake/libtool also to create windows binaries. It is great
to have single build system for all platforms... And now that we have
the mingw-w64 project which revived mingw development it should be
great!
However, the lack of proper windows support in libtool is a major obstacle.

>> Linking between DLL and static library is valid in this platform.
>
> There were some arguing that it shouldn't be done out of
> consistency/portability reasons: users could come to expect that this
> would be possible everywhere.  I'm not sure where I stand here;
> certainly, the testsuite failures encountered provide the more stringent
> argument.

PIC static linking with shared objects is also portable...

Thanks,
Alon.