libtool

Re: Developing against $HOME/lib libraries and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Developing against $HOME/lib libraries and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 17:11:23 -0500

On 12/1/17, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 15:38:20 +0100
> Thomas Jahns <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The -rpath argument is for libtool (to tell it where the library will
>> be installed). To tell libtool (or ld) where to search for libraries
>> at run-time (if no .la files are installed) one needs to add -R or
>> -Wl,-rpath options.
>
> So, should library A's .pc file include that in its output then? Is it
> safe to do that unconditionally, even if the library is really just
> installed in /usr/lib by the normal tooling? I wasn't sure if that was
> safe to do.

If library A is a libtool library then libtool should do the right thing
automatically.  All you should need to do is add the libtool library to
your link command.

If library A is not a libtool library then libtool won't necessarily
know how to link it correctly, so it might need some help...

It's hard to say more without knowing what libtool commands you are
running and in what way they are not behaving as you expect.

Cheers,
  Nick