libtool

Re: visibility support

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: visibility support
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 21:10:23 -0500

>> Which LT_INIT option would enable the hidden symbol visibility support?
>
> There is no such thing in libtool as far as I am aware.  Libtool is all
> about supporting a core set of features in a portable way.

I was really asking to implement LT_INIT(elf-hidden) in the spirit of
LT_INIT(win32-dll).

Times have changed. All major compilers implement -fvisibility=hidden:
- GCC does it https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility
- clang does it https://clang.llvm.org/docs/LTOVisibility.html
- Intel C++ does it https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/522783
- Solaris Studio does -xldscope=hidden
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/overview/symbol-scope-140496.html
- HP C compiler does -B symbolic
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05074198#hpch2_to27

Did I miss any major compiler? Isn't it a core portable ELF feature?

> There is nothing to prevent you from doing what you want in your configure
> script by adding to CFLAGS and/or LDFLAGS variables.  Just make sure that
> enabling or depending on this feature does hinder portability to systems
> which do not support the feature.

This is exactly what I have done. But I think this job suits libtool
much better:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=f4a3255d450e18e4981074ef9a42a2318f9e7cbc