libtool

Re: visibility support

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: visibility support
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 11:12:34 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:

Which LT_INIT option would enable the hidden symbol visibility support?

Libtool is all about supporting a core set of features in a portable way.

It is not about my use case, which I solved, it is about making
-fvisibility=hidden into a core Libtool feature. I will summarize and
never bother you again.

You make very good arguments. The question remains as to who would implement this feature, test it, and assure that it gets in a libtool release? Are you willing to take responsibility for this? It is a lot of work, but libtool exists due to the effort of volunteers who were willing to do a lot of work.

There needs to be a fall-back mode on systems where the request can not be supported. Luckily, the fall-back mode for this feature (simply ignore the request) is less draconian than the fall-back mode for the win32 option.

The setting might need to be remembered in the installed .la files in order to know if libraries this library depends on are also prepared for the feature, and for libraries that depend on this library can know that they can use the feature.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn