libunwind-devel

Re: [Libunwind-devel] Re: Backtrace from signal handler on arm from thre

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Re: Backtrace from signal handler on arm from threads
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 08:04:44 -0800

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Lassi Tuura <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,

>>> Symbols don't affect unwinding, as far as I know.

Symbols do affect GDB though.

In particular, libthread_db looks up "private" libpthread symbols, so
if libpthread is completely stripped, then GDB will not work (in the
way that Henrik described).

>> Yeah, that was another thing I was wondering about...  Can I in some
>> way use strip or other tools to remove debug symbols while keeping
>> unwind info alive?

You should not strip libpthread completely, but stripping debug info
is reasonable and usually done with 'strip -g'.