libunwind-devel

Re: [Libunwind-devel] Problems with compiling libunwind on Ubuntu 10.04

From: Ted Ts'o
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] Problems with compiling libunwind on Ubuntu 10.04
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:28:30 -0400

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:54:39PM -0700, Arun Sharma wrote:

> These are known failures (functionality not implemented on x86_64
> yet). But it shouldn't impact the common use cases (local unwinding).
> The larger issue libunwind faces is due to APIs that call malloc or
> ones which take locks:
>
> * dl_iterate_phdr
> * pthread_setspecific
>
> The latter is easy to work around. The former requires a lock free,
> malloc free implementation of dl_iterate_phdr.

The main use case I'm trying to implement is a signal handler that
dumps a stack trace to stderr, for use in environments where capturing
an core dump is not convenient/possible, so I don't think that should
be an issue.

Speaking of which, if anyone can point me an implementation of this
functionality so I can just copy it instead of writing it from
scratch, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks!!

                                        - Ted