Re: [Lightning] release gets closer...

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Lightning] release gets closer...
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:30:58 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> I had already fixed this.  :-)

Indeed, you even made a major overhaul on the i386 side.  I had also
failed to see that you had already documented `allocai'...

>> Speaking of this, wouldn't a patching approach for `allocai' (as on
>> SPARC and PPC) be more efficient on Intel, instead of generating a `push
>> %eax' or similar for each `allocai'?  More importantly, not using the
>> same approach as on SPARC and PPC yields semantic changes.  Consider the
>> following code:
>
> You are right.  This way allows the code to be more space efficient,
> but I'm open to changes.

The thing is that programs not using `allocai' would end up with a
gratuitous `sub 0, %sp', but perhaps that's acceptable.

Thanks,
Ludovic.

PS: Some of your changesets included changes along with merges, which
    made it harder for me to merge back.