Re: [Lightning] Detecting use of floating point

From: tim
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Detecting use of floating point
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:35:48 +1100

For X86, the TS bit of CR0 (X86), if on ,forces a fault if FP is used.
It is set by a hardware context switch and reset by a privileged
instruction.

The EM bit may also be useful.

The OS formally does this for you. If you are writing the OS, you woudl
have the authority to MOV into CR0.

Some CPUs have this facility and others do not.

Tim Josling