Re: [Lightning] RFC: Proposal for lightning 2.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Lightning] RFC: Proposal for lightning 2.0
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:04:06 +0100

Hi,

Congratulations!  ;-)

Would lightning remain an everything-in-header kind of tool, or would it
require linking against a library?

Also, how would you position lightning 2.0 compared with GNU libjit?  I
think there has to be a clear message.

> * There is a simple register allocation scheme. One can make a register
>   global by calling jit_get_reg(flags) where flags is a specific register
>   name and never call jit_unget_reg(reg), but the most common usage
>   is to allocate a temporary register. It is advisable to have only one
>   global register (using a callee save register) and only have more than
>   one temporary based on knowledge of number of registers; not a
>   problem to use a lot of temporaries in mips or ppc, but an issue
>   in i586.

Is there a limit on the number of registers that can be created?

For register-based VMs (like Guile’s future VM), it sounds like an
extremely useful feature if users can just allocate new registers and
let the allocate DTRT.

Thanks,
Ludo’.