Re: [Lightning] The Free Semantics Foundation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Lightning] The Free Semantics Foundation
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 09:34:27 -0400

> Focussing on free source code is pointless, we need to focus on free
> semantics.

There I lost you.  I'm quite aware of what "semantics" mean in the
context of computer science (and programming languages in particular),
but I really can't see what the above means.

Last I checked, all semantics is described "in some other language"
(whose own semantics is assumed to be known).

So there's still always the same loophole: the program's description is
"source code" and its interpretation is vulnerable because the semantics
of the language in which the description is written may be modified.

And of course, I agree with William that it's probably easier to get
that kind of control nowadays from SMM or one of the many "security"
hardware "features", some of which are even designed to be used remotely.

        Stefan