Re: [Lightning] Porting GNU Smalltalk to lightning 2

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Porting GNU Smalltalk to lightning 2
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 17:18:28 +0100

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 01:27:48PM -0200, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:

> The incorrect assumption was that a method_cache_entry nativeCode
> pointer was immutable, what is obviously wrong, and to use a mmap 'ed
> buffer, need the reverse hash. It is possible to tell lightning 2 where to
> write jit to, so it could still use a variably sized method_entry structure,
> but I prefer not, because that means mapping down to the page boundary
> before and up to after it as executable...

I don't really follow here. In GNU Lightning 1.x and 2.x the cachedIP
will refer to a native address. The only difference as I can see is the
method_entry will have the nativeCode allocated/managed by lightning
now? What prevents us from having a simple forward pointer instead of
doing a reverse look-up?