Re: [Lightning] JIT_R11 trashed by jit_callr on MIPS32

From: Paul Cercueil
Subject: Re: [Lightning] JIT_R11 trashed by jit_callr on MIPS32
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:49:08 +0100

Hi,

On 28/10/2014 22:30, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
Hi Paulo, thanks for the response.
Comments inlined below.

  > I've been working for some time now on my spare time on a
MIPS-to-Lightning dynamic recompiler:
https://github.com/pcercuei/lightrec/

    It looks very nice. On a quick look I only suggest not using
JIT_RA0, as you should be aware it is not available on all ports,
on ix86 parameters are passes on stack, and on ia64 the first
register argument has a variable value.

Thanks! But I know this very well. The problem is that I cannot use the

   I am afraid you will be hit by this:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lightning.git/commit/?id=abf1b6e67811eecacc634e3f2e1a89d05c7d1884

jit_pushargr/jit_pushargi macros as they make Lightning crash (with an
assertion failure). This is because all my blocks of code are created
without a jit_prolog/jit_epilog; if I were to use them, it would create an
enormous amount of overhead as Lightning would save/restore the registers on
the stack for every single block of code recompiled, while I handle that
elsewhere (in the "wrapper" block).

   This should be what you need to make it fully portable, and remove
most if not all overhead:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lightning.git/commit/?id=839341a498b7b2077d715c2ca66d3debcddc0c30

   I am delaying a bit release of lightning 2.0.6, as I hope to fix any
possible issue with the GNU Smalltalk port to use it, but if you
could test the current git, I would really appreciate, and jit_frame
and jit_tramp may be exactly what you need.

From a quick look it looks exactly what I need, yes. Thanks a lot!
But I can't build from the GIT, there's no ./configure and no m4 files to build it using autoconf, what am I missing?

   Note that if you do the current approach, you are risking to have
your code only working on a few (register rich) lightning backends,
and will break on newer lightning, because (the undocumented)
JIT_RA0 was removed, to avoid it being used, and writing non
portable code :(

   Basically, the new interfaces are like this:

jit_prolog();
jit_tramp(256);
jit_epilog();

saves all callee save registers, creates a stack frame of 256
bytes for any arguments on stack or jit_allocai calls. And:

jit_prolog();
jit_tramp(256);
jit_epilog();

assumes the the prolog/epilog and frame. You must write code
that jumps and return from there, that is, you can actually write
the function body later.

I assume you meant jit_frame(256) on the former - but I get the idea.
Is that stack area also used for parameter passing on x86, or just to save a snapshot of the register set?

  > It abuses Lightning a little bit, in the way that it doesn't use
functions - the generated code directly jumps to the next block of code,
recompiling it if needed. It works fine on MIPS32 for now, except for
one point: jit_callr trashes the JIT_R11 register...

    I am afraid this is expected :(

  > Here's a minimal test case:
  >
  > <paul:~/dev/gcw0/lightrec> $ cat minimal.c
  > #include <lightning.h>
  >
  > static void get_new_function(void) { return &end_execution; }
  >
  > int main(int argc, char **argv)
  > {
  >         jit_state_t *_jit;
  >         init_jit(argv[0]);
  >
  >         _jit = jit_new_state();
  >
  >         jit_movi(JIT_R11, 54);
  >         jit_movi(JIT_R0, &get_new_function);
  >         jit_callr(JIT_R0);
  >
  >         jit_retval(JIT_R0);
  >         jit_addr(JIT_R0, JIT_R0, JIT_R11);
  >         jit_jmpr(JIT_R0);
  >
  >         jit_emit();
  >         jit_disassemble();
  >         jit_clear_state();
  >         jit_destroy_state();
  >         finish_jit();
  >
  >         return 0;
  > }
  >
  > The code basically sets the JIT_R11 register to 54, call
"get_new_function", adds JIT_R11 to the value returned and jumps to that
new address.

  > This is what I obtain:
  >
  > opendingux:/media/data/local/home # ./minimal
  >         0x77295000      li      t9,54
  >         0x77295004      lui     v0,0x40
  >         0x77295008      ori     v0,v0,0x9d0
  >         0x7729500c      move    t9,v0
  >         0x77295010      jalr    v0
  >         0x77295014      nop
  >         0x77295018      addu    v0,v0,t9
  >         0x7729501c      jr      v0
  >         0x77295020      nop
  >
  > The LUI/ORI correspond the load of the address of get_new_function.
The jalr is the jit_callr. But between those, the JIT_R11 (register $t9
here) is trashed for no good reason.

  > My current workaround is to completely avoid the use of JIT_R11, but
it would be great if it could be fixed :).

    Remember that JIT_R11 is not callee save, so, lightning is
supposed to be allowed to clobber it. A backend specific comment
should be added to the documentation about such special cases.

    t9 is the pic register. Lightning does not know if it is calling a
pic C function so if the jit_callr argument is not t9, it will set it to
the function pointer. A workaround in your code would be to
know about that.

Allright, I didn't know that. I knew about $gp (register #26) but not about
$t9. Then I guess I will discard it when compiling on MIPS.

   It is dangerous to rely on non callee save registers not being clobbered.
Even if it is calling a jit function. Alpha uses the pv (r27) register the same
way, but the alpha port does not make it, register 27, a "visible" JIT_R(n).
PowerPC clobbers r2 and r11, but also on ppc they are not made into
a JIT_R(n). Hppa clobbers r1 and r19, again not made into a JIT_R(n).
Mips was the first lightning port I made, so, maybe I should change it
to not make JIT_R11 available?

Well I certainly didn't expect Lightning to use a JIT_R(n) register internally. I know that those can be trashed when calling C functions, but I assumed that they would never be trashed within the generated code.

I think that it would be better to avoid this problem, yes. JIT_R11 should be removed from the list of available registers. It's not a big deal on MIPS anyway, there are plenty of registers that can be used there.

Thanks,
Paulo

Bye,
Paul