lilypond-auto

Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 754 in lilypond: \transpose should not affect

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 754 in lilypond: \transpose should not affect \transposition
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:21:03 +0000

Updates:
        Labels: -Patch-review Patch-countdown

Comment #17 on issue 754 by address@hidden: \transpose should not affect \transposition

I am putting the patch in its current form on countdown for 2013/02/09 16:00 UTC. The rationale for this is that it is a two-line change with obvious consequences (the arguments of \set and \override Music expressions are not getting transposed). I am factoring out separate parts (namely inversing instrumentTransposition, and dealing with transposed cues) into different issues.

The main problem of this patch here is dealing with the fallout for those who have made active use of the interaction of \transpose and \transposition. The number of those will be non-zero since otherwise there would have been no reason to have changed the sign of instrumentTransposition around in the past.

I can think of no useful convert-ly rule except possibly for the pattern
\transpose whatever c' { \transposition c'
getting transformed into
\transpose whatever c' { \transposition whatever
or maybe the saner
\transposition whatever \transpose whatever c' { ...

But I don't really expect this pattern to be particularly frequent.

So there is, at any rate, followup documentation work making clear what \transposition does (the current documentation fits the new behavior just as well or better than the old one and is thus clearly deficient). changes.itely will need information as well.

However, I have several followup patches/issue riding on this one, so if this part (the two lines and the associated behavioral change) is uncontentious, I'd like to get it over with.