lilypond-auto

[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #3208 Wrong Mu

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues via Testlilyissues-auto
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] #3208 Wrong MultiMeasureRest glyph
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 19:17:00 -0000

Here are the answers I got from the publishers:

Publisher 1
• Has no house rule for this situation.
• But recommends to use a brevis rest for 1 measure in 4/2 time; for more measures use a “modern” horizontal beam rest (MMR.expand-limit = 1).
• Alternatively do the same for 4/2 as for other time signatures like 4/4 (“consequently modern practice”).

Publisher 2
• Use the same notation for all time signatures including 4/2 (what Publisher 1 calls “consequently modern practice”).
• MMR.expand-limit = 9

Publisher 3
• Use brevis rest for 1 measure, longa for 2 measures, longa + brevis for 3 and so on (like LilyPond’s default behaviour).
• MMR.expand-limit = 12 (or maybe 8); after seeing my example they voted for 8 (“else it looks like stacking wood”)

After thinking about these answers I would suggest the following:
• Change LilyPond’s default expand-limit to 8 (publisher 3, Gardner Read “Music Notation”) or 9 (publisher 2, Elaine Gould “Behind Bars”) instead of 10 (current default). IMO there are arguments for both 8 and 9:
∘ 8 is one or two (in case of 4/2 time) maxima rests, not one or two maximas + a little bit.
∘ 9 is the largest single-digit number.
→ I’m undecided
• Have a boolean grob property of MMR that controls whether longer rests are used for longer measures (publisher 3, current default) or whether all times are handled the same (publisher 2 and maybe 1). And make the default that it matches current default (after all, LilyPond doesn’t want really “modern” engraving, does it?).
• Now think whether we need usable-duration-logs and if so what it should do:
∘ Control the appearance of single measure rests.
∘ Control the appearance of compressed rests.
→ I would suggest not to use it. According to Gould smaller than whole rests should be placed where notes of that lengths would stand, so if one wants 1/8 rest in 1/8 time just use r8 instead of R8. And I don’t see why anyone would want to disable brevis, longa, maxima rests. (Ok, maybe maxima … in this post there is an example of 8 measures rest that uses two longas instead of a maxima … but after looking at that edition (NBA) I have the impression that they do weird stuff with rests …) But that’s only my opinion.

[issues:#3208] Wrong MultiMeasureRest glyph

Created: Wed Feb 27, 2013 03:07 AM UTC by Anonymous
Last Updated: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:43 AM UTC
Owner: Malte Meyn
Attachments:

Originally created by: *anonymous

Originally created by: address@hidden

Thomas Morley reported here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2013-02/msg00180.html

as follows:

With measures longer than two whole notes LilyPond chooses different
glyphs for MultiMeasureRest.

\version "2.17.12"

\new Staff {
  \compressFullBarRests

  \time 7/4
  R1*7/4
  R1*7/4*2

  \break

  \time 9/4
  R1*9/4
  R1*9/4*2
  \break

  \time 18/4
  R1*18/4
  R1*18/4*2
}

Discussion on the user-list:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Glyph-for-longer-MultiMeasureRest-td141438.html

According to Gould LilyPond's default seems to be correct.
Werner objects.

At least there's need for discussion, I think.

Attached an image showing "LilyPond's default" vs "Correct?"

Regards,
  Harm

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/