Re: Looking for info about Easy Notation feature

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Looking for info about Easy Notation feature
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 20:08:16 +0200

> >   There's a design thought that keeps coming up in my mind, too.  It
> > seems to me that a lot of output features are set in the file that
> > might work better on the command line.  For example, a song is the
>
> On paper that might seem like a good idea, but I doubt whether it is
> very practical. But you can get more or less the same effect  if you
> code the input files carefully, and \include  a generic music file
> into files that specify either sound or music output.

In my opinion, this feature is one of the major design philosophies
behind Lilypond, namely that most of the Lilypond code only
describes the music, whereas the typesetting details are determined
by the engraver definitions and property settings, all of which
can be done in the \paper section. By preparing a number of different
initiation files with \paper{} declarations, you could use the flag
`-i' to lilypond to select the desired layout or MIDI definitions.
A possible improvement would be to allow for several -i declarations
on the command line and also to add a corresponding flag for ly2dvi.
On the other hand, then you'd soon begin to use Makefiles or
scripts to remember which combination of added init files produced
which version and you could just as well get the same function
using a .ly with a number of includes.

  /Mats